Palmiers – Mushroom, Onion & Bell Peppers
Serving Size : 30 Appetizers. These do not freeze well after being cooked as the pastry becomes soft and spongy.
- 7 ounces Puff Pastry
- 1 Yellow Onion — Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper–Chopped
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper–Chopped
- 2 tablespoon Butter — unsalted
- 8 ounces White Mushrooms — Chopped
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Thyme — – Dried
- 1 tablespoon Half & Half
- To Taste Black Pepper — Fresh Ground
- ½ cup Pepper Jack Cheese — grated
- 1 Egg — Beaten With 1 Tbl Cold Water
- Topping Red Bell Pepper Dip — Optional
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
Sauté onion and bell peppers in olive oil until soft – remove to a mixing bowl.
Melt butter in a heavy skillet and sauté mushrooms until they give up their liquid. Season with salt and thyme and add half and half and cook over moderate heat until liquid evaporates and then add the black pepper. Combine in mixing bowl with sautéed onions and peppers.
Roll pastry on lightly floured surface into a 6 in x 14 in rectangle. Spread cooled mushroom/onion/pepper mixture over pastry, sprinkle evenly with pepper jack cheese. Roll up ends (from long side) to meet in the middle.
Refrigerate wrapped in plastic, until firm, about 20 minutes. Brush with beaten egg on all sides. Cut across into 1/2 inch thick slices and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake until crisp and golden about 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Serve plain or with Red Bell Pepper Dip.