Chili – Beef and Black Bean
Serve with a dollop of Toasted Cumin Crema and Avocado Relish.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 pound Beef cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- To Taste Salt and black pepper
- 1 large Red Onion finely diced
- 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Ancho Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Pasilla Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 bottle Dark Beer
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 16 Oz Can Chopped Tomatoes drained and pureed
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Pepper Puree
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 2 cups Black Beans canned; Drained & Rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- ***Toasted Cumin Crema***
- 1 tablespoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 cup Mexican Crema
- To Taste Salt and Black Pepper
- ***Avocado Relish***
- 2 ripe Hass Avocados peeled, pitted and diced
- ½ small Red Onion finely diced
- 1 Jalapeno finely diced
- To Taste Lime Juice
- To Taste Cilantro Leaves chopped
- To Taste Salt and pepper
Chili: Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper, and sauté until browned on all sides. Transfer the meat to a plate and remove all but 3 tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the Ancho powder, Pasilla powder, and cumin and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the beer and cook until completely reduced. Return the beef to the pot, add the chicken stock, tomatoes, chipotle puree, and honey, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the beans and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lime juice, and adjust seasonings.
Toasted Cumin Crema: Place the cumin in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Toast until lightly golden brown. Place in a small bowl. Stir in the crema and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place in a squeeze bottle.